Simulating Card Transactions
This guide contains instructions for simulating various card transaction types using the Create Simulated Card Authorization and Create Simulated Card Settlement endpoints in the CV environment.
Before performing these simulations, you should follow these instructions:
- Client Validation setup in the Environments guide
- Setup for Card Transaction Simulations to create a card account, activate the card, and fund the account
To test RTF accounts see Testing Real-Time Funding in CV for initial setup and to see the additional funding transactions.
Do not follow this procedure in Production. The transaction-simulation endpoints are not valid in Production.
This list of simulation types is not yet complete. More examples of card simulations will be made available in the future. Check the Changelog for updates to this document.
- Three-step sequence — Conventional transaction: authorization, backout, settlement
- Five-step sequence — Gas-pump transaction: preauthorization, preauthorization backout, completion, backout, settlement
- Incremental authorization — Three incremental preauthorizations before being completed and then settled
- Authorization reversal — Full reversal of an authorization before settlement
- Authorization expiry — Authorization expires before being settled
- ATM withdrawal, Visa — Cash withdrawal from an ATM with operator and issuer fees
- Force-post — Settlement of a transaction with no matching authorization
- Cashback — Cash back during a purchase
- International transaction, Visa — International purchase with fee
To find more example transactions to base your tests on, try these resources:
- Card Transaction Scenarios — Example scenarios to show how various card transaction types appear in the Program API, Events API, Auth API, and the RDFs.
- Card Transaction Examples — Examples of the transaction types explained in the other guides.
- Recipes — Annotated code samples. The "Auth API v3" Recipes are the most helpful for simulating card transactions.
Updated 2 months ago