Card Transaction Scenarios Index
These scenarios show how various types of card transactions are represented by the Galileo system.
Before consulting these scenarios you should be familiar with the concepts in these guides:
- About Transactions — General explanation of how Galileo represents transactions across its system.
- About Card Transactions — Explanation of how card transactions work from the authorization request to settlement
- About the Events API — How Galileo notifies you in real-time about system events
- RDF Reference — Contents of the standard suite of RDFs
- Scenario 1: Authorization with Settlement — Cardholder adds a tip to a bill at a restaurant. One authorization with one settlement
- Scenario 2: Preauthorization with Completion — Cardholder pumps gas. One preauthorization and one completion
- Scenario 3: Incremental Authorizations — Multiple authorizations and one settlement
- Scenario 4: Reversal on Authorization Before Clearing (Mastercard) — Mobile wallet purchase with full reversal. Authorization and its reversal before clearing
- Scenario 5: Reversal on Preauthorization Before Clearing (Visa) — Attempted gas purchase with full reversal. Preauthorization and its reversal before clearing
- Scenario 6: Refund After Clearing (Visa) — Home improvement store purchase with partial refund. Authorization and its refund after clearing
- Scenario 7: Refund After Clearing (Mastercard Banknet) — Cash-app transfer with full refund. Authorization and settlement with merchant credit
- Scenario 8: Partial Reversal on Preauthorization — Car-rental agency. Preauthorization and partial reversal
- Scenario 9: Merchant Credit (Mastercard Banknet) — Return of a gift. Merchant credit
- Scenario 10: Merchant Credit (Visa) — Home improvement store purchase with merchant credit. Preauthorization over Mastercard Banknet with merchant credit over Visa Interlink
- Scenario 11: ATM Withdrawal — Balance inquiry plus withdrawal plus program fee
- Scenario 12: ATM Reversal — Reversal of a duplicate authorization
- Scenario 13: International Authorization — Retail purchase in Brazil. Authorization plus settlement
- Scenario 14: International Reversal — Retail purchase in Spain. Authorization plus partial reversal
- Scenario 15: Tokenization Authorization — Cardholder installs a meal-delivery app and the app validates the card in the cardholder's mobile wallet
- Scenario 16: Settlement Without Authorization — The merchant does not clear a transaction until after it has expired in the Galileo system
- Scenario 17: Card Load (Maestro) — Drive-share worker receiving payment as a Maestro load
- Scenario 18: Real-Time Funding — A cardholder with a corporate spend card makes a purchase, and the funds are transferred real-time into the account before authorization
- Scenario 19: Force Post — A merchant does not obtain authorization for a purchase and then force-posts the transaction.
- Scenario 20: Card Load Reversal (Maestro) — A cardholder receives payment from an employer but the funds are reversed.